Grain and Fertilizer Operations Manager
- - NT Administration
- Rheems , PA, USA
- Full Time
JOB TITLE: Grain & Fertilizer Operations Manager
JOB RELATIONSHIPS: Supervised by: President of Risser Grain
Supervises: Local Site Leadership
Risser Grain is looking for a Grain & Fertilizer Operations Manager. This role will oversee the day-to-day operations in all areas except sales and marketing, and primary operating functions for each grain and fertilizer location. Further responsibilities required to be successful in this role will be to guide, coach and hold accountable the local management teams at each location to provide the necessary talent, products, and services necessary to meet customer expectations and the outlined expectations of the budget and operating structure determined by the Risser Leadership Team. As a working manager you will be required to work independently while effectively leading teams with a customer focus, traveling to support each location as needed.
- Manage the elevator operation and agronomy plant operations according to company objectives to provide customers with prompt, courteous and effective service while maintaining the efficiency necessary to achieve a maximum margin of profit.
- Establish and implement a program of site housekeeping, safety and equipment maintenance to avoid breakdowns and limit safety hazards.
- Oversee the accurate weighing, grading, and quality control to include mixing, blending and moving grain.
- Monitor stored grain condition. Have knowledge of the daily inventory position so that you can effectively control grain handling, storage, and transportation capabilities.
- Educate both employees and customers to enhance employee effectiveness and improve member relations.
- Ensure adequate monitoring systems are effectively ensuring the storage of grain meets optimal grain storage conditions.
- Establish and implement short-term goals that are consistent with long range plans for growth in operation, including facility, equipment, and personnel.
- Coach, guide and hold accountable the site leadership to manage the elevator workforce through responsible training and clear job assignment definition and explanation.
- Monitor the work of all employees to correct deficient performance and effectively reward and develop all employees.
- Work extended hours as needed to meet business needs.
- Assist in developing budget & asset needs, and work to ensure your input is incorporated into the approved operating budget.
- Act as a working supervisor, lead by example, provide work direction, foster communication, and a strong customer service mentality.
- Supervise agronomy maintenance program to ensure proper operation, repairs, and PM requirements are met.
- Work to design and incorporate best practices, company requirement and business unit expectations into the electronic management system that will be constructed to support the business fully.
- Oversee and manage inventories, both ingredients and finished products.
- Enforce safety rules and administer all company and government regulations.
- Ensures that grain facilities are well maintained by adhering to a strict maintenance schedule. Follows established policies and procedures, along with proper communication when operating grain handling equipment. Repairs and rebuilds equipment to maintain its integrity and insure its longevity.
- Visually monitors grain and grain products for irregularities and takes proper action when discovered. Demonstrates the ability to recognize quality control issues with grain while utilizing acceptable blending practices.
- Train colleagues to become proficient at jobs and tasks at the facility and sign off on performance qualifications.
- Coordinate with site leadership to develop a safe and efficient daily work plan for hourly staff on a shift basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in an Agriculture program (additional years of experience may offset degree requirement)
- 10 plus years of combined production agriculture or elevator management experience, supervisory experience
- Dedication to Risser's goal of achieving a zero-injury culture; understand and follow company safety procedures
- Able to meet physical requirements of the position including, but not limited to prolonged periods of standing and sitting, working in confined spaces and from heights, bending, kneeling, climbing stairs and ladders, working in a variety of conditions (heat, cold, dust, etc), lift up to 50 pounds unassisted, shovel material and operate a vacuum.
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, strong work ethic, good time-management & organizational skills.
- Ability to travel to and support each location as needed. Willing to work rotating shifts, weekends, holidays, and overtime as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams, strong decision-making skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and be customer focused.
- Working knowledge of required testing and grading of grain as well as shrink factor management for the fertilizer business.
- This includes base wage and may consist of other earnings depending upon position consisting of bonuses, incentives, commissions, merit pay. Company transportation will be provided for this role.