- - Benton Mill
- Benton , PA, USA
- Full Time
JOB TITLE: Mill Manager
JOB RELATIONSHIPS: Supervised by: Regional Operations Manager – Manufacturing
Direct Report: Mill Supervisor
Indirect Reports: Maintenance Technicians
The Mill Manager is ultimately responsible for all activities that take place at their facility. Primary focus will be on directing and managing mill operations including: the supervision of all manufacturing team members at the mill; oversight of quality in receiving and all mill operations; tracking inventory management; promoting a safety culture; complying with environment requirements; driving production efficiencies; management of mill costs; and meeting customer quality expectations. To accomplish these responsibilities, they will effectively collaborate with quality, procurement, nutrition, transportation and the financial areas of the Company.
In addition, the Mill Manager is responsible for scheduling feed mill activities; managing the inventory of ingredients and supplies; preparing for and ensuring compliance with housekeeping audits; working with the Maintenance Supervisor in scheduling preventive maintenance; providing timely updates to the Transportation Supervisors on operational concerns with the Drivers; and participating in safety and leadership meetings.
The Mill Manager is responsible for compliance with all company policies, as well as local, state and federal laws and regulations. The Mill Manager is responsible for reporting monthly, financial and production activities. The Mill Manager will operate standard office equipment, feed manufacturing equipment and computer automation equipment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages and coordinate the daily mill labor planning, utilization and evaluation of performance.
- Responsible that all mill employees are properly trained in manufacturing, food safety, quality, safety and environmental policies
- Ensures appropriate and effective level of staffing requirements to fulfill production expectations within budget.
- Works in collaboration with HR in recruiting mill talent.
- Provides effective leadership to drive engagement and morale of mill employees
- Provides development opportunities for all level employees in the mill
- Understands WEM system and how it serves as a manufacturing process control systems and reconciles to inventory management in the Company's financial systems
- Responsible for the timely production of feed looking for opportunities for continuous improvements in mill efficiencies
- Supervises and coordinates with the Maintenance Supervisor the repair and maintenance of all equipment and coordinating repair and maintenance with feed production
- Effectively monitors and manages quality in each phase of the grind, mix, pellet and load out process and has broad and deep understanding of Quality Assurance Program
- Manages overall cleanliness and appearance of the facility
- Responsibility for the adherence to all mill safety procedures and programs with Safety Compliance Coordinator
- Responsible to comply with all environmental policies including relationships with vendor emergency cleanup needs working through the Facilities and Environmental Coordinator
Ingredient and Inventory Management
- Ensures the quality of ingredients from receipt through storage, including bin rotation and clean out.
- Ensures appropriate testing protocols are adhered to relative to ingredient receiving.
- Takes ownership for overall mill inventories in terms of accuracy of reporting and levels needed to sustain daily operations
- Coordinates with Nutrify, Transportation and Logistics all activities as they relate to feed production in regards to ingredients needed and product delivered.
Transportation and Delivery
- Assesses and monitors driver performance in conjunction with the transportation supervisor
- Evaluates adequacy of load out and manage efficiency of related processes to reduce wait times
- Responsible for the quality of the finished product
- Fosters a working relationship with the finished feed customers
Administrative and Other
- Coordinates reporting and record-keeping functions with mill supervisor and shift supervisors
- Reviews analyze and create reports on production records
- Prepares yearly and monitor period budgets
- Performs other duties as determined by the Regional Mill Manager.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum requirement of a high school degree
- An associate or college degree (BA or BS in agriculture, manufacturing or relevant industry) preferred
- Minimum of 5-8 years of experience in a feed mill or analogous manufacturing environment
- Minimum of 3 years of leadership experience required
- Able to understand and contribute to all functions in a Mill operation
- Knowledge of feed manufacturing techniques, equipment operation and maintenance
- Possess an advanced knowledge level of animal nutrition
- Ability to complete PCQI training
- Ability to understand and follow Food Safety Standards – FSMA and SQF and State regulations
- Understanding of the financial drivers of the business and managing a budget
- Proficient math skills
- Strong computer skills, including MS Word and Excel
- Proficient oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of various types of feed mill machinery
- General maintenance skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Commitment to develop a safe culture
- Demonstrates Wenger's Core Values
- Management experience with demonstrated leadership and team building capabilities
- Demonstrates desire to continue in personal professional and leadership development
- Ability to collaborate and interact across all levels of the organization
- Positive attitude and able to motivate team members at all levels
- Ability to lead continuous improvement in operations and service levels
Aids in others success
- Ability to lift up to 60 lbs. repeatedly and up to 100 lbs. on occasion
- Ability to climb ladders and work in high places
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to work in dusty conditions